Ask These Questions Before You Hire a Roofing Company
Updated: Mar 22, 2022
You can’t build a sturdy building without a solid foundation. Although this load-bearing base is vital to a structure’s integrity, the highest part of the building is equally important. While the foundation keeps the property standing upright, the roof protects the contents of the building from nature’s elements. That being the case, a roof must be durable and dependable. And only a qualified expert should be contracted to install this important part of a property.
If you’re a property owner or manager who’s in the market for a newly constructed roof, roofing repairs or maintenance, you should only do business with a reputable roofing contractor.
Below, we’ll outline the various questions you’ll need to ask and information you’ll need to confirm when choosing a roofing contractor for your needs.
Follow the Three Rs: Research, Reputation and References
The first steps you need to take to find the right roofing contractor involves following the three Rs:
● Research - Using your preferred search engine, locate the roofing contractors in your region.
● Reputation - After you’ve located the contractors in your area, it’s time to find out which of these firms have the best reputation. You can do this by reading reviews in their Google Business Profile, on their social media pages, and on other online resources such Yelp. You can also rely on your personal network of family and friends to see if they have any knowledge of or experience with these roofing specialists.
● References - Once you have selected a few firms to contact, be sure to ask them to provide three references from previous or current clients. Then you can contact these clients during your vetting process to learn more about their experiences with the respective roofing contractor. Be sure to ask if they were reliable, met deadlines, didn’t exceed budgets, etc.
Questions and Confirmations
Now that you have whittled down your list of prospective roofing contractors to the best candidates, it’s time to figure out who is the best choice. You can do this by personally meeting with a representative of the business to discuss your specific needs, ask questions and validate their credentials.
While this sounds simple enough, there is a great deal of information you will need to cull from these roofers to determine if they are the right fit for your project.
Here are some of the most critical questions you’ll need to ask each representative to make your vetting process more efficient and effective:
● How many years of experience does the firm have?
● Do the roofer perform inspections before beginning the project?
● Do you offer estimates? If so, would you provide one in writing?
● Does the estimate include materials as well as labor?
● Does the company use subcontractors? If so, please provide their business and contact information.
● Has the contractor ever been penalized for any violations of building codes, rules or regulations?
● Is there a dedicated project manager for my roofing job?
● Does the contractor provide clean-up and disposal services of the old roofing and materials?
● What forms of payment are accepted?
● Will they work with homeowners insurance to file claims?
● What is the projected timeline for completion of the job?
Along with these questions, you’ll need to ensure that each roofing contractor is reputable and legitimate by confirming that they:
● Are licensed to build, repair and maintain roofs in you location
● Are insured (If so, they will need to supply you with their specific coverage information)
● Offer a warranty for their finished roof
● Secure all of the local permits and licenses that are required for installing a roof in your community
Once you’ve conducted your research and thoroughly vetted each contractor it’s time to select the candidate that best suits your needs. However, we can save you some time and energy by simplifying your process and recommending a stellar roofing specialist: Cooper Roofing!
Our family-owned business has built a solid reputation as the Mid-Atlantic region’s go-to commercial and residential roofing contractors. With over 30 years of experience, our team can expertly install a new roofing system, repair existing roofing, and perform first-rate maintenance to ensure that you get the most out of your property’s roof.
If you want to know how to choose a reputable roofing contractor, contact Cooper Roofing today!